Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Start of the Craziness

Yes, I'm crazy.

That's why I'm doing World's Toughest Mudder on November 17th and 18th, 2012. It's quite a simple logical corollary.

World's Toughest Mudder Page

Here's the recipe: take a male that used to run competitively. Age him and put him through college so that he's not elite anymore, and also 35 pounds fatter than he was before, then throw in some medical school and graduate school but keep the indominable spirit and the will to push his body to the wall, even when he doesn't have to. Introduce him to Tough Mudder and he'll qualify for World's Toughest Mudder. Then tell him that the race is 24 hours, includes harder obstacles and, in general, is just made to be as hard as possible. Said male will get excited and proceed to go crazy: otherwise known as register and train for the event.

The basic idea behind this blog (I'm new to blogging) is to write down what I'm doing to train and how I'm feeling about it. I've got some people supporting me throughout (Thanks Mum and Dad) and this is an easy way to share and also pump myself up. Who knows if I'll go so far to post training videos and try to inspire future generations and fellow mudders. We'll just see how it goes.

If you're reading this as a training guide to absolute craziness, it's important for you to know my background and where I started in my road to absolute insanity. Here's my sport credentials:

Middle/High School: Cross Country, Track & Field
C'05 American School of the Hague
Trained for Dutch National Races (5k/8k/10k) with Leiden Atletiek

Undergrad
C'09 University of Pennsylvania
Void Ultimate Frisbee Team
Penn ITF Taekwondo Club
Penn WTF Taekwondo Club

Med/Grad School
University of California, Los Angeles
UCLA Taekwondo Club

PRs:
5k: 16:01 (2004)
10k: 34:14 (2004)
13.1 mile: 1:36 (2010)
Tough Mudder So Cal #2: 2:23 (2012)

Those of you that know what that all means know that I was good (not amazing) and now I'm still quite reasonable, but am no where near the shape I was in before.

The other caveat to my performance is that, when I was aged, I also come with chronic injuries, as we all do. I destroyed (yes, appropriate word) my right ankle in 2008. In addition to breaking the bone, I also messed up the cartilidge. That means that I can't build up distance as fast as the average Joe and I'm always going to have pain if I go too long. The doctors say that I basically shouldn't run distance anymore but, well, I covered this already: I'm crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment