Sunday, September 9, 2012

Just 10 weeks!

First and foremost: my legs burn. They burn bad. I'm writing this right after my Sunday bike and before my dinner has finished cooking. Other than that, this week was quite eventful in terms of updating my body. I've got my first legitimate injury that's affecting practice but I'm also feeling really good about where my training is. I'm going to be in a good position come race time, so I'll be able to put up a good showing and be proud of myself. That's really all that matters. Let's just hope I can keep it up again.

So here's what happened this week

Monday: 4 mile run (<7:00 min/mile pace), 5 sets Core Craziness Type 2 (7/50)
Tuesday: 11 mile run (7:09 min/mile pace) + 2 hours olympic lifting/core
Wednesday: Taekwondo Practice (1:30)
Thursday: 6 sets Core Craziness Type 2 (7/50)
Friday: 1:24 run (7:20 pace, likely 11.5 miles)
Saturday: 12 sets Core Craziness Type 2 (7/50)
Sunday: Biking (3:45)


Weight: minimum 168.8 and median 170

For the definition of Core Craziness Type 2, please see previous posts.

Why does it burn so bad?
That bike was rough. I felt myself pushing the entire time, especially on the uphill portions. The bike consisted of 10 laps of my loop. I felt the strain on the second lap already. The middle laps went okay, but by the time the sun fell and I had two more laps left, I was talking to myself on the long uphill portion at the end of the lap, saying "Come on, come on. Push it. Come on." I don't know why that helps, but it let's myself know that the pain isn't going to stop. I need to put my mental effort into just making it continue. Just keeping up the pace, no matter what happens. And... it works. The pace of each of the 10 laps was basically the same. There was one lap that was 30 seconds slower than the rest, but otherwise consistency, thy name is Wesley.

The Friday run was the same way. It was smooth for the first 9 miles but those last 2 miles were rough. My left (not destroyed) ankle was hurting a little. My legs were very tired and I just sat down for quite a while after that. I ate a lot but I still lost weight after that day.

That, however, brings me to my injury. After that run, that left ankle was hurting when I woke up. It's not like I turned my ankle where the pain is on the lateral (outside). Instead, the pain is on the medial side. It started off wrapping around the malleolus (bump of the ankle), as if it was a muscle that wraps around there. After that first day, the pain moved up a little and is now localized around the muscle body just posterior to my tibia. It actually felt better after the bike today, so I'm hoping that it won't keep my back too much. I did, as you may notice, take a leg-break on Saturday because of my ankle.

The other item of business is the weight. As you can see, it's coming off reliably. I'm feeling good and not feeling like I'm short on energy ever. My body is getting more lean and you can start to see my core muscles through the fat. It'll be interesting to see myself when I'm back down to a high school weight for me. It's been quite a long time since I was down there.

I'm still working through the equipment planning. I've been doing research and thinking about strategy. Hopefully by next week I'll have an equipment list to brag about.

No comments:

Post a Comment